High School Wrestling

Greco Championship Pools Set at 2016 Junior National Duals

David Campbell - California

By: Alex Steen, Editor

The Greco championship pools are set at the 2016 Junior National Duals.  After a fantastic day of action eight teams are still alive to win the championship.  Minnesota Blue, Florida, Oklahoma Red and California will battle it out in a stacked pool A, while Illinois, Washington, Michigan Blue and Iowa vie for the other spot in the finals out of pool B.  We should still see the Minnesota/Illinois match-up that seemed inevitable before the tournament started, but this will be no easy path to walk for either team.

Minnesota Blue rolled through their preliminary pool, finishing it off with a 54-16 win over Washington.  Illinois also looked impressive getting past Florida 42-25 in the semi-final before rolling over Utah Green 46-17.  Florida booked their place in the championship pools by coming back to claim true second.

Michigan Blue had a much more dramatic path to the top level.  In a barn-burner semi-final, Drew Marten of Michigan got the 14-5 win in the final match, at 126 pounds, over David Campbell (California) to give Michigan Blue the 34-33 dual win over California.  This came two matches after a crucial 12-2 tech-fall by Dominic Lajoie over 2015 Fargo Greco All-American Oscar Nellis.  Michigan Blue went on to defeat Ohio 32-25 in the pool final while California did well to come back for true second to keep their title hopes alive.

The home team, Oklahoma Red, survived a stern test from Pennsylvania in the semi-final before handling Iowa 41-29 in the pool final.  Iowa was second and moves to the championship pools as well.

The first round of championship pool wrestling gets underway tomorrow morning starting at 9 am central.  You can see every match streaming live on FloWrestling.

To Top