Photo Credit: Rich Kane/Getty Images.
In honor of the Round One of the NFL Draft later this evening, TOM decided to hypothetically conduct the first round of the “National College Wrestling League (NCWL)” Draft as well.
See where your favorite NCAA Division I stars landed in the inaugural NCWL Draft!
All weights listed are based on the weight class that the draftee last participated in.
NCWL Round 1
- Jacksonville Jaguars – Spencer Lee, Iowa, 125 pounds
- New York Jets – Gable Steveson, Minnesota, 285 pounds
- San Francisco 49ers (from Miami Dolphins via Houston Texans) – Mason Parris, Michigan, 285
- Atlanta Falcons – Yianni Diakomihalis, Cornell, 141
- Cincinnati Bengals – Ryan Deakin, Northwestern, 157
- Miami Dolphins (from Philadelphia Eagles) – David Carr, Iowa State, 157
- Detroit Lions – Roman Bravo-Young, Penn State, 133
- Carolina Panthers – Aaron Brooks, Penn State, 184
- Denver Broncos – AJ Ferrari, Oklahoma State, 197
- Dallas Cowboys – Nick Suriano Rutgers/Stevan Micic, Michigan, 133*
- New York Giants – Daton Fix Oklahoma State, 133
- Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami Dolphins via San Francisco 49ers) – Nick Lee, Penn State, 141
- Los Angeles Chargers – Michael Kemerer, Iowa, 174
- Minnesota Vikings – Carter Starocci, Penn State, 174
- New England Patriots – Jaydin Eierman, Iowa, 141
- Arizona Cardinals – Sammy Sasso, Ohio State, 149
- Las Vegas Raiders – Sebastian Rivera, Rutgers, 141
- Miami Dolphins – Nino Bonaccorsi, Pitt, 197
- Washington Football Team – Austin O’Connor, North Carolina, 149
- Chicago Bears – Shane Griffith, Stanford, 165
- Indianapolis Colts – Alex Marinelli, Iowa, 165
- Tennessee Titans – Tony Cassioppi, Iowa, 285
- New York Jets (from Seattle Seahawks)
- Pittsburgh Steelers –Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech, 165
- Jacksonville Jaguars (from Los Angeles Rams) – Myles Anime, Michigan, 197
- Cleveland Browns – Trent Hidlay NC State, 184
- Baltimore Ravens – Vito Arajua, Cornell, 125
- New Orleans Saints – Mikey Labriola, Nebraska, 174
- Green Bay Packers – Hayden Hidlay, NC State, 157
- Buffalo Bills – Pat Glory, Princeton, 125
- Baltimore Ravens (from Kansas City Chiefs) – Austin DeSanto, Iowa, 133
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Parker Keckeisen, Northern Iowa, 184
Even in an entirely fictitious draft, I could not resist selecting numerous 133-pounders from what was supposed to be an incredibly loaded weight class in 2021, but it never came to fruition.
Additionally, Suriano and Micic were listed as one entry due to the growing skepticism of if/where the duo will be returning to NCAA wrestling next season.
On a side note, this was far harder to do than I anticipated. Tell me what I got right and what I got wrong. There are no correct or incorrect answers. Comments are encouraged.