NEWARK –The Beast of the East was not exactly put on its back yet. But the nation’s top high school wrestling tournament was certainly giving up some back points.
In January, shortly after last year’s tournament, tourney director Bob Shaw said the Delaware Wrestling Alliance took notice that attendance was slightly down in 2008. Not much, but not a sellout, and Shaw said Monday night at a press conference for this year’s Beast tournament that the DWA wanted to address that.
Then, in March, came another move the DWA was already anticipating — about a one-third cutback, according to Shaw, in state funding for this year’s tournament, to be held Saturday and Sunday at the Bob Carpenter Center.